Willie

Willie
Little Angel, in hospital 5 years old.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The little wise man...



Following the miracle operation, Willie underwent radiotherapy.

The huge doses of radiation to the brain to curb the cysts cost Willie millions of brain cells. Once the treatment had concluded they called him in for an assessment. It was to involve spending at least an hour with the child psychologist completing various tests/questions on a very long form.

Zoe was not happy at all as she felt Willie wouldn't co-operate easily and it would be too stressful to sit there under scrutiny for an hour. To be honest I didn't hold out much hope but understood that it could be vital research for those children affected in the future when big decisions had to be made.

I persuaded Zoe to let me take him along with Dhelia their current au pair, as Willie was more likely to co-operate in the absence of his mum. We set off as a slightly apprehensive team of three!

Dhelia was a lovely au pair with older children she was providing for, back in the Phillipines...she had been with the family for a few months and adored Willie and Rheanna. A lovely Christian lady she had learnt how to 'be 'with Willie and was very much a part of 'Willies world'. (She was caught  once by Zoe, throwing wet paper towels onto the ceiling..I wasn't there, but like all of you who knew this little rascal - you can imagine the hearty giggles as each one splatted...)

Together we tried to sell this trip to Willie as an adventure, although I believe Willlie possibly dreaded every hospital visit as circumstances could change so dramatically and so swiftly. He did humour us though and came along quite happily.

This visit however was not going to involve needles, chemo, masks, or any pain at all. A huge relief to him I'm sure when he left without being pricked and prodded.

The female psychologist came into the waiting room and took Willie by the hand. I was concerned about him going off on his own, as I had promised Zoe I would ensure he was not afraid at any point. He let smiling and virtually skipping into the distance...the kind lady reassuring me she would bring him straight back at any time if he got upset. apparently it would have been too distracting with me there to..

It was over an hour later when they came back to get me, and I followed the two of them into a small room. It had been a surprise and a relief that Willie appeared contented and happy, enthusiastically pulling me by the hand to 'show me' his handiwork.

The psychologist showed me the enormous amount of questions/tests they had got through, apparently Willie had co-operated and sat still for the whole hour...the lady must have been gifted I concluded in the art of bogey talk. But weirdly she appeared very sensible. A lovely soft spoken lady she also look relieved.

We left on top of the world...lovely day, tasty lunch out for three, and task completed effectively 'sans' trauma..result!

I was driving back down the A34 towards Newbury pondering on just how successful against all odds that had been. Delhia was as pleasantly surprised as I was. She was sitting in the back to keep Willie company.

Willie was smiling in his car seat. I glanced at him in the mirror, feeling like a very proud 'mummy'...
smiling broadly I caught his eye.."Thank you Willie, thank you sooo much for being such a well behaved boy and doing those tests so brilliantly, thank you - you were amazing.."

To which he replied quite simply.."Don't thank me, Thank God - just think what He has done for us."

I nearly crashed the car!

4 years old, apparently special needs, couldn't read his own name - yet had the wisdom of Solomon..the mind of a man far beyond his 4 years....I reflected ..'did Willie actually meet Jesus when the doctors almost lost him?, had he 'died and come back to life.?' ...how else, where else? ...Willie would not have been interested in such a conversation...how would a 4 year old understand the concept of Jesus's ultimate sacrifice?...I realised at that moment that Willie had a very deep and real faith...one that was going to uphold him through the next few years...and  into eternity when the time came.

 Awesome..I still shiver in awe as I recall those words spoken with such clarity and authority..

Yes Willie Foster-Horton, you had so much to teach me...and that was just the beginning.





No comments:

Post a Comment