Willie

Willie
Little Angel, in hospital 5 years old.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A birthday letter to Heaven, from Big sister Rheanna, 18/06/2014



Happy birthday Willie.

Figured this was an appropriate day to share our moments.

 I'm sat by the beach writing this, you would love it apart from the tantrum you would have due to their being no sand :/ we used to go to the beach every year. Didn't matter where, as long as sand, spades and buckets were provided you were satisfied. You'd build sand castles as I watched, then occasionally I'd squash them for my sisterly enjoyment. You would throw a paddy and refuse to talk to me. That never held out long though soon enough we'd be back building castles and moats coming up with crazy stories of those little people who would live in our masterpiece. Your crazy imagination never failed to be present. I remember those nights when you'd be in mums bed with your favourite cuddly toys lammie and monkey, such original names aha. I'd pretend we were on a boat and playing along as always you'd wrap the duvet around us so the four of us were safe from the storm. 'I'm safe with my big sister' you'd say. Then I'd read your favourite story or muck around until you giggled. Your laugh was so special. Face screwed up with squinted eyes and those dimples :) I can't remember many moments that didn't end in a classic giggle. Whether you were in pain or angry or half asleep somehow it would come out.

When we moved to Sue's everything became quite separate. There was so much going on. The boys kept me busy whether we were fighting or coming up with silly games, but you were always there. I'd bring Rosie and poppy to you, although your preference fell on Rosie. You never liked dogs a great deal. You adored Rosie though, she'd be your personal foot rest, always gentle with you. I know Susie has a sweet picture of Rosie laying next to you keeping watch over you on the trampoline, one of your many angels. 

The suns setting now. It's beautiful. If you were here we'd be leaving, it would be that time for you to have a whine over the sand being up your shirt and blaming it on everyone else but yourself. Once washed off all would be better. it normally didn't take a lot to cheer you back up, music being one. You had a massive thing for dancing. There were the select few favourite cd's from monkey music to church songs. Whichever one, you'd fling your self around the kitchen floor endlessly. The best was with our au-pair Martina. In-between her legs sliding across the floor or doing your little jiggle singing along. The majority of the time it was more like making noises along to the music with your tongue stuck out making funny faces along with it. 

Whenever I think of you I remember how you had my back. It's normal for older sisters/brothers to always protect the younger ones, however in some ways you took care of me more than I did you. If I ever got upset you'd run in to hug me better. If I ever ran into trouble with mum or dad it often turned into a shouting/crying match. You would get upset and have a go at them for telling me off. I can never forget how angry you would get if somebody upset me. You always stood up for me. Always trying your hardest to protect me.

You had all your crazy irritating habits. Stealing my stuff and blaming it on the imaginative trolls that 'lived' in the garden hedge. Most of which never got returned. Even when I saw your playing with them you'd keep to your story of the trolls. Our garden must have been one of your favourite spots. Big trampoline, swings and a muddy patch. The 'muddy patch' was your life. It started as a small area of mud in the top corner of the garden. Then mum made it official with bricks built into the ground showing 'willies territory'. You had endless amount of diggers and various contraptions. Once you started it was impossible to get you away. The insane part was there was no aim to it all. no target, you were just crazy for digging. Such joy from such a simple thing. Time in the swing came up close second on your priorities. The favourite game for the swings being football. Get various participants to throw the ball at the perfect time for you to kick it from the swing. I felt sorry for whoever had to remove you when it was time to head back inside. It's something I often avoided as it was quite the challenge. 

I've mentioned your paddies and tantrums a fair bit as they made a frequent appearance. Sometimes they'd last hours and sometimes not long at all. Often mum or dad would shut either of us in the living room if we misbehaved. I would just sulk on the sofa until I was allowed out. You however took to a more inventful approach. The living room is where your drill and tool collection lived and various other building sets. To grasp their attention to be let out you'd start at work on the door, generally the more into it you got the anger would start to fade and you'd find it hilarious.  Often screaming in frustration you'd drill, smash, scratch, kick the door until you were released. Then you'd either storm out saying how unacceptable it was, it the drilling would have perked you up and you'd stroll out with a smile. 

I hope your up there having a crazy time for you 14th. Wherever you are, you'll be living it out. I've heard many people say when you lose someone it gets better with time...it never gets better but you learn to think of the good times and treasure them. I have so many memories little things that happened over the years, all your small habits that made you so special. Not a day goes by where I Don't think of your reaction to something or how much you'd enjoy each little thing. I always think if you here with that cheeky grin. You'll always be my brother and your always here with me somehow. Never forget how much I love you. Happy birthday Willie x


No comments:

Post a Comment