Willie

Willie
Little Angel, in hospital 5 years old.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Chapter 3 - 'The moment'

I don't know why - maybe it was the blond curls cascading around his cherub features, maybe it was his infectious giggle, or his beautiful big smiling eyes...or his cheeky smile? but I connected instantly - Saying hi to this tiny little man in a big hospital bed was 'the moment' Willie Foster-Horton sucked me into his world - Willies world. For all of you who knew this gorgeous young man - you will know exactly what I mean.

There were no half measures with Willie - you were either 'in' or 'out' lol! Willie lived in a world full of giggles, tractors, tools, poo, bogeys and very bad smells. On reflection I suppose I shouldn't be proud that I so easily slipped into this 'fun' bubble. How easily I found myself talking on a level usually reserved for young boys or maybe teenagers....but the reward of that incredible giggle was enough to encourage me to explore this zone further and to learn quickly the rules within.

Zoe and David stood by as Willie and I got acquainted and our friendship began - I got introduced to Tiger and was allowed to hold him for a short while..an honour not given to many - little did I realise then the depth and breadth that friendship would take me...and live within my heart for an eternity. I had no idea that this cute little boy two weeks off his 3rd birthday would become my best buddy. But he did...
After a while of fun and giggles I remembered why I was there - Zoe, David and Willie had made me feel so welcome time had sped by...there was no awkwardness at all. I chatted to Zoe about the tumour - Willie proudly announced that he had a craniopharyngioma  - I was shocked that he could say it so eloquently and that he remembered it! I was right in thinking it would take me 6 months for me to say it without asking Willie.

He also informed me that his little friend in the bed opposite had a hypothalamic tumour. Incredible for such a young child to possess such command of the medical dictionary. He put me to shame.

I took Zoe's hand and prompted her to take David's and we joined hands with Willie in a circle. I prayed simply to a God that was bigger than any of us - a God who knew our hearts and our requests before we voiced them - A God that was already present in that hospital ward and who never left our side throughout and beyond the journey we began that day, I had no idea what Willies anxious parents were thinking but I had a deep sense that I was fast becoming a link to an anchor they neither knew or understood but somehow trusted that I trusted it was there. An anchor that was definitely going to be needed in the impending overwhelming storm on the horizon..the planned life saving operation..

No comments:

Post a Comment