Willie

Willie
Little Angel, in hospital 5 years old.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ramblings..drills...and more.

Continuing Willie's favourite pastimes...drills were possibly number 1 on his list above all other toys. Red drills, yellow battery operated drills, small drills, drills with interchangeable accessories. Willie loved them all...and would tuck them in the top of his jogging bottoms like a gun in its holster. Ready for action whenever and wherever.

Willie would drill anything, cupboards, toys, bits of wood, and his toy workbench. One of his
favourite characters was Bob the builder and often He would call Bob up on his imaginary phone to
have a chat builder to builder (well builder to carer at the time pretending to be Bob). Willie played like any child his age but used language that was worthy of adult conversation. Anyone allowed the privilege of using his drill would have to be shown how to use it properly and safely. He would explain what each drill bit did and what you could use it for. Drilling was to be taken seriously!

One of the highlights, just weeks before he got his wings, a family friend, Ryan helped him drill some holes in our brick gate post - with a real power drill...the beaming smile as he realised one of his dreams was captured on camera...for prosperity and a reminder of Willies ability to give joy to those around him. Ryan being a real builder was definitely on Willies list of favourite people...




As you can see in the photo, Willie's concentration is on the important job in hand. Amazingly Willie
still 'looked' at what he was doing although he couldn't see at this stage. This experience was just one of the many treats God Blessed him with...in those last weeks...but more of that later - I've just skipped a few years!


Willie also loved collecting all kinds of weird and wonderful objects in his pockets. It was quite incredible how much he could get in a jogging bottom pocket. Zoe favoured the jogging bottoms as they were comfortable and easy to get on/off. Willie didn't appreciate anything tight on his body...

He would bring out a small object, maybe a bit broken off a larger toy, a stone, iPod shuffle, small car, whatever treasure he found that morning around the house ...he would delight in showing it to you before tucking it safely away again.

I am sure there were banned  items smuggled into school on occasions...like his all time favourite...'the syringe' . Zoe had an abundance of these at home as they were used to administer his drugs 3 times a day. Willie loved them...they could  be used to fill with water to squirt..or just nice to hold and play with - quite therapeutic. So a child carrying a medical syringe round the playground - a little bit taboo! Rubber gloves...another odd favourite..well, perceived odd by the average child but for Willie all these items were part of his daily life. When in hospital I was very naughty and would grab a handful of gloves from the boxes on the wards for him to play with. Great for blowing up like a cows udder or just to scrunch up to put in his pocket.

They would be used in role play..."Gloves on Dr MacCauley..knife and fork ready? Check...ok let's get this brain open" luckily the teddy bear didn't come to any harm...but what was normal for Willie was a world apart from most children his age.

At school the local doctors son, who was in year 6, often did 'reception duty' at lunchtime. This is where the top year at the primary school played with the youngest children at lunchtime. It worked perfectly for Willie as he got on better with older children.  This amazing young man understood Willie very well. They played a game frequently where Willie would knock on the Wendy house door. 'The doctor (incredibly reminiscent of his father) would say "Come in".
Willie would walk in with a doll and give the doll to the talented junior doctor.
 "What's wrong with my baby?" He asked.
 "Mmm let me see" the stethoscope would be used from around his neck.
Willie would look on expectantly, with a solemn expression.
'The doctor'  would shake his head from side to side.
 "I'm very sorry Mr Foster-Horton there's only one thing I can do for your baby - chop it's head off"
Willie would guffaw with laughter, such a belly laugh rocking back and forward in the small Wendy house chair.

The junior doctor would giggle with him...and Willie would soon recover from his giggling, take the doll outside and knock on the door again. Willie loved to repeat things over and over if he really enjoyed them. I used to be very impressed by the doctors son with a huge heart, understanding and patience as he was happy to replay the 'doctor's surgery' game on a regular basis.

School was never Willies favourite place, as there were so many rules and regulations and an expectancy to learn. He never did learn how to read and write in the few years he was there...but the social side was important to him. He dwelled in the hearts of most of the school teachers, teaching assistants, staff, caretakers and the pupils. The pupils were brilliant at acknowledging him, always a smile and a hello..after he lost his sight they would add 'hi Willie..it's Hannah'.announcing themselves in the most natural way - ....which i found incredibly touching. Willie knew most of them by name - he did have an incredible memory for names, faces and facts..which was valuable after he went blind.

Willie knew most people by their voice, or I am convinced also by smell lol. I will enlighten you on that later. So school became a place to be endured for most of the day as the long suffering teaching assistants did their best to keep the peace. I mean this in the kindest sense..but it was no picnic trying to get him to engage in anything not involving a spade, mud, sand or water.

PE I remember being particularly painful in my short term of trying to be his teaching assistant. Zoe was very unsure about sending him to school as she worried that he may get hurt. By this time I was employed part time to help Zoe on a regular basis as proper care was £25 per hour minimum! I had been intending to work part time once Andrew was in full time education so the timing worked perfectly. I worked a couple of days a week...then the issue of school arose and it made sense that I would go into school as his one to one. Im not sure we even asked Mrs Plackett the headteacher at the time, or just announced it.

It had taken a few weeks for me to get my 'Willie on his own' badge. mainly obtained by kidnapping him whilst Zoe protested strongly.The first time I insisted (mainly to give her a rest), I promised to phone several times whilst out. As each time he came back safe and smiling I gradually increased the hours until I was full qualified and trusted. For those who knew me then and now, you like I, marvel at the fact I could keep him safe. I am not well known for my focus and yet with Willie it did become very natural.

There was one day i recall that went horribly wrong. Willie needed the toilet whilst we were sitting sharing a plate of chips in a cafe (taboo food eek) when he announced he needed a wee. Quickly. So I threw my bottle of water along with my phone in the pushchair hood. Placed Willie quickly in the pushchair, stuffed a handful of chips in my mouth to munch on the way and took off at my fastest pace through the shopping center to the public toilets. I knew I had a time limit of 1 minute 3 seconds to get there before it was too late. Fortunately it wasn't too far as i couldn't run that fast.

I went to the last cubicle in the row as I wanted to leave the pushchair with all our belongings as close as possible without it being in the way....no spacious mother and child toilets in those days...I grabbed Willie out of the pushchair pushed him into the toilet whilst practically pulling his sweat pants down at the same time. he shrieked as his head hit the hard plastic fold up child seat exactly at  his head height. B*****..yes that was my exact thought and I apologise to anyone who thinks I would never swear.

I tried to placate him before the initial shriek transformed into a wailing session - or worse..that he had caused damage to his head that would be catastrophic. I feared already having to confess to Zoe. There were never any secrets as Willie forgot nothing and would retell our adventures intricately to his mum on our return. I managed to keep him calm and there were no more tears. After he had relieved himself I lifted him back into the pushchair..watching him like a hawk..was he going into shock..it was a sudden bang to the head..was he turning blue..and as these investigations were going on I nonchantly grabbed his bottle of juice. It was in a babys bottle with the plastic top on. I didn't pay any attention to it as I held it over his head..not taking my eyes off him for a second..I took the lid off without noticing it had filled up with blackcurrant juice...I only realised as it cascaded all over his head and down his checked shirt and jogging bottoms in a wet sticky mess.

I held my breath...waiting for the inevitable reaction of hysterical crying...but nothing.. I looked him in the eye with the best 'I'm so sorry look' one can give under such circumstances. He looked up at me without one tear and said quite simply 'Oh F***'

That broke the moment and we both laughed like drains..me with complete and utter relief that he was neither unconscious or screaming..and Willie..because he did have a great sense of humour even when bruised and drenched. He never swore so it was a complete surprise he even knew the word and the context in which to use it.

I felt that I should pre-warn Zoe before I returned..give her a few minutes to absorb the information before I saw her...so once I had changed him into the spare clothes from his rucksack I reached for my phone. It had drowned. The waterproof hood meant there was a big pool of water - leaked from my water bottle. In my rush I hadn't screwed the lid on properly.

Thankfully that was my worst day out with him..and Zoe forgave me so I could continue journeying with my little buddy.






2 comments:

  1. It's pure joy to read these stories of Willie, he's never really very far from our thoughts-
    Annie Poppins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie Poppins...he does come up often in conversation for sure :) it's lovely that many who knew him can follow the journey - so many if you were such a huge part xxx

      Delete